Let your poems simmer!


I've spent the past ten summers of my life in Ha'il, Saudi Arabia, where my dad worked as a college professor. My mom, my sisters and I moved to Pakistan, because education is a big problem there for people like us who never got the hang of Arabic. Anyway, my dad moved back home last year, which means no more vacationing in Saudi Arabia. I miss it, and I don't miss it. I miss the silence of the desert, how the ringing of the phone and doorbell was a special occasion, the hot, dry wind whipping my face, everyone dressed in black and white wherever you went. That's what summer will always mean to me. 




The summer air coils itself around our house
Winds along the white trunk of the eucalyptus tree
In our front yard
Whispers through its ghostly leaves
Makes them dance -just out of reach.
The summer wind licks my face
A candle flame, caressing me in the darkness.
It smells of dried-up twigs and withered leaves
Desert plants that have learnt to dream of water
Only once every few weeks
Some days when I'm early enough
I get to watch the summer sun
Peek over the edge of the mountains
A yellow tennis ball
Caught in a sky blue net
Fresh for the day's play.
The clouds skid past, night flickering into day. The sun
Rising and setting over these changeless mountains.
Every  moment as constant as the last.
I walk until my ankles strain
From carrying my weight around,
And in my mind, I go over
My summer diet and exercise plan
As flimsy as last winter's New Year resolution.
My sisters tame cats and their summer babies, and
At night we hunch over our playstation controllers
Hands sweating and fingers numb
From pressing too hard.
And when I sleep, it is always dreamless.

Here's another one.

This year, the weather's been 
as whimsical as me
Outside, the sky changes from pale blue
to vermilion, to streaks of grey.
And before you know it,
the year's almost up.
Steamy Asian days change seamlessly 
into steamy Asian nights.
I drive by Nandos and Dunkin' Donuts
and it refreshes my memory 
of you walking away from me.
Always 
walking away from me
Two years to the day.
Two years have escaped my timeline.
Seems like only yesterday,
but mostly like it never happened.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank you, Mark Zuckerberg!

Waiting For Afternoon Chai

It's time to be a big girl now...